1977 Oldschool Short Chop
E. from Las Vegas, Nevada, sent us these photos of his eye catching 1977 Harley-Davidson Sportster Short Chop.
This bike is of a rather radical design. E. would describe his bike as a "1977 Harley-Davidson Sportster Vintage Old School Chopper Rat Bike Bobber Iron Head Hard Tail Rigid Frame Project Bike".
Whatever you name her, she was cetainly not built for sissies...
Measurements / Bike Dimensions
E. states the following dimensions of his Harley Short Chop:
- 4.25 x 18T rear tire;
- 100/90 x 19 front tire;
- Axles are 68" center to center;
- 94" overall length;
- Handlebars are 27" wide;
- 25" Seat height;
- Has a 38" sissy bar (measured from top of rear fender);
Bike Particulars - Da' Good Stuff
E. lists the good points of his Sportster Chopper as follows:
- Starts easily, runs ok, and shifts fine!
- Frame has a 45 degree front fork rake, you'll need to be a strong man to handle this bike!
- Jockey/Suicide left hand shifter with clutch lever mounted on the handle;
- Has a new S&S Shorty carburetor;
- Open exhaust pipes with no baffles;
- Chain drive;
- Twin disc brakes on the front;
Bike Particulars - Da' Not So Good Stuff
E. is fair and honest about the points which need attention:
- Headlight needs adjustment or to be remounted to point down to the ground;
- Gas tank has rust inside but has internal and inline fuel filter and is not mounted at the rear;
- Kickstand needs a new stronger return spring;
- No horn;
- No turn signals;
- No high beam;
- No speedometer;
- No brake light but master cylinder does have a brake switch;
- No rear brake or brake hub;
- Tires are old and are fair to poor condition;
Suicide Clutch / Gearshift Handle
Please note on these pictures that this Low Rider Chopper has very "clean" handlebars without too much clutter of controls and wires.
This has been achieved by mounting a combined clutch / gearshift handle that can be reached right next to the gas tank.
Clymer Service and Repair Manuals
Even if you have no intent to get your hands dirty - these books are a joy for every Harley Davidson fan!